I know, in the blogging world, it is customary to post ideas at least a week before events happen. I totally dropped the ball on our advent calendar this year because I really didn't have an idea...until today. So if you've got balloons laying around the house, you can totally make this one happen for you!
Last year, Patrick and I did a Christmas joke advent calendar for the Brodster. We loved how excited he would get every morning to get a new joke to tell his friends at school. This year, I wanted to really create new family traditions and memories, so each day, we would have an activity to do as a family. Surprisingly, it was also a great way to keep our holiday schedule in tact because I was able to add events to the countdown. Cheers to multi-tasking!
- Permanent marker
- Twine or ribbon
- Masking tape
- Hole punch
1. Write down 24 activities/events on small cardstock cards
2. Hole punch on the corner of the cardstock cards
3. Add a small twine tie to each card and set aside
4. Blow up and tie off 24 balloons (not with helium! They won't last all month)
5. Number each balloon (1-24) with a permanent marker. Make sure the balloon knot is at the top when writing the number.
6. Tie a long strand of twine to each balloon
7. Grab you cards and loop the desired card to each balloon.
8. With masking tape, attach each twine strand to the ceiling.
You're done! For the kiddos to get the activity of the day, they will need to pop the balloon to get the card! Or if you're like me, cut a small hole at the top of the balloon and watch it slowly deflate (popping balloons make me a nervous wreck - LOLZ).
Need some ideas for activities? Here are a few of ours:
Decorate the christmas tree
Watch Home Alone
Make a gift
Read "Reindeer Potluck"
Write a letter to Santa
Have hot chocolate with marshmallows
Make paper snowflakes
Visit Candy Cane Lane
Decorate a gingerbread house
Play Holiday Memory Game
Put stamps on our family Christmas Cards
Go to a live Christmas show
Celebrate Festivus (or watch the episode)
Bake cookies for Santa
Who's ready for the countdown! WE ARE NOW! Haha!
Hi! I'm Amy
I draw, make, and occasionally tell a story.