For the past five years, I have worked a desk job. Before that, I had a career in retail. So you can imagine the instant weight struggle I began to experience when my active day suddenly became very sedentary.
Add a poor diet and getting older, one finds that it is harder to get the weight off. I wish I could add a treadmill to my desk, but until that day comes, I have had to get a little creative at work to sneak in my "secret office workouts". I am super shy and self-conscious of working out in front of others, so these five activities help me get some extra calorie burn throughout the workweek.
1. Secret Ab work: Posture is so important when sitting at a desk eight hours a day. I tend to forget that. Recently, I have been focusing on pulling my belly button to my spine to keep my abs contracted. Don't forget to breathe! It is about keeping your abs active, not sucking in your stomach. This move works on burning calories while reminding you about your posture.
2. Secret Squats: Every time I visit the restroom, I make sure to complete a set of squats (after I am done with my business, of course). I usually do 50 squats in the stall.
3. Secret Leg Work: Take the stairs! Now this is a challenge for me because the stairscases at work are super spooky. However, there is one, well-lit, set of stairs that take me to an alternate restroom. It is a short flight, but hey, better than nothing! Want an extra burn? Take two steps at a time.
4. Secret Cardio Burn: Not really a secret...just walk. Walk more and walk faster. Do not run though - you will look like the office lunatic. Walk with purpose! For example, go to the copier after each print out, not once all the documents are done printing. Visit your co-workers desk instead of sending an email. Get your heartbeat up and make it count.
5. Secret Stress Relief: Stretch! It may not seem like it, but stretching burns calories too. This is one of those moves that I feel comfortable doing at my desk. Roll your neck back and forth, stretch your fingers and arms, roll your shoulders - this all relieves tension.
Hi! I'm Amy
I draw, make, and occasionally tell a story.